The Formatt-Hitech 100 x 150mm Firecrest Graduated ND 0.6 Filter helps to darken specific areas of an image, such as bright skies, while allowing for a normal, unaffected exposure in the other regions of the image. The filter is densest at the edge and tapers to clear by the middle, with a soft-edged line of transition between the density and clear areas. Neutral density filters do not affect the coloration of the image and the 0.6 density provides a 2 stop reduction in light from entering the lens.
The design of this filter has been optimized for use with digital sensors and promote nearly flat attenuation of visible, UV, and infrared light. Due to imaging sensors’ greater susceptibility to infrared light, compared to traditional film, color casts can occur when photographing darker subjects that require increased exposure times. This filter provides a high level of neutrality across all three spectrums in order to eliminate color casts and ensure cleaner, truer blacks.
Applied to the outside of the Schott Superwite glass construction is a 15-layer Firecrest multi-coating, which helps to minimize reflections and flare in order maintain truer colors and contrast. The multi-coating is also scratch-resistant and hydrophobic to benefit the overall durability of the filter. This filter measures 3.9 x 5.9″ / 100 x 150mm and is 0.08″ / 2mm-thick, making it compatible with the Formatt-Hitech 100mm Filter Holder. Its vertical orientation indicates that the density’s line of transition runs parallel to the short side of the filter.
- Graduated ND 0.6 filter for darkening skies and other bright areas of the image.
- Provides a 2 stop reduction in light in selective areas.
- Soft-edge transition is ideal for circumstances there is not a distinct line of separation between the bright and dark zones of the image.
- A vertical orientation filter’s line of transition runs parallel to the short side of the filter.
- Attenuates infrared light, as well as visible and UV wavelengths, to maintain color neutrality and suppress color casts due to increased exposure lengths.
- The 15-layer Firecrest coating has been applied directly to the outside of the filter glass by way of a vacuum-formed, hard-coated, electrolytic process. The multi-coating is water- and scratch-resistance for greater overall durability.
- Schott Superwite glass promotes maintained image clarity and its 2mm-thick design is compatible with the Formatt-Hitech 100mm Holder.