Characterized by its large sensor, advanced imaging capabilities, and modular design, the GFX 50S from Fujifilm is a unique medium format mirrorless camera that is highly versatile and distinctly portable. At the heart of the GFX camera system is the 43.8 x 32.9mm 51.4MP CMOS sensor, which pairs with the X-Processor Pro image processor to produce files with extremely wide dynamic range and high resolution, as well as an extended sensitivity range of ISO 50-102400 for working in difficult lighting conditions. The sensor’s large form factor also achieves a unique three-dimensional look with especially smooth tonal and color transitions. Beyond this, the sensor and processor combination also avails the ability to work in a variety of aspect ratios common to traditional large and medium format film cameras, as well as the ability to shoot at up to 3 fps or record Full HD 1080p/30 video. As forward-thinking as the GFX 50S is, its use of film-camera inspired design imbues it with intuitive operation and the ability to apply the camera system to myriad styles and methods of image-making.
Complementing the imaging assets is a truly versatile physical design that champions multiple ways of working with the camera. A removable 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder can be used for high-resolution eye-level viewing, and can be paired with an optional tilt adapter to permit working with the finder from various working angles. Alternatively, the rear 3.2″ 2.36m-dot touchscreen LCD features a three-way tilting design that supports working from high and low angles, even when shooting in the vertical orientation. Operability is further reinforced through the use of several dedicated dials for adjusting exposure settings, and a top LCD screen is also featured for quickly checking settings and exposure data. Additionally, the GFX 50S sports a magnesium alloy build that is both lightweight and durable, and is also dust- and weather-sealed, as well as freezeproof down to 14°F, for working in trying environmental conditions.
- 51.4MP CMOS Sensor and X-Processor Pro
- Utilizing a large, 43.8 x 32.9mm 51.4MP CMOS sensor and X-Processor Pro, the GFX 50S is capable of delivering high-resolution, 14-bit stills with a 14-stop wide dynamic range as well as a broad sensitivity range of ISO 100-12800, which can be extended to ISO 50-102400. The large size of each pixel allows for more efficient light gathering, too, for smoother tonal and color transitions to produce a characteristic three-dimensional “medium format look.” Also contributing to several medium format looks, a variety of traditional medium and large format aspect ratios can be used in addition to the standard 4:3, including 1:1, 65:24, 5:4, 7:6, 3:2, and 16:9.
The image processor and sensor also lend a versatile edge to the system, and permit shooting continuously up to 3 fps or for recording Full HD 1080p video at 29.97, 25, 24, and 23.98 fps frame rates. Film Simulation modes, including a Color Chrome Effect to produce subtle tonality among highly saturated colors, can be used in conjunction with video recording, too, to lessen the need for color correction during post production.
- Body Design
- Magnesium alloy body construction is both lightweight and durable, and the camera system is sealed in 58 places to render it weather- and dust-resistant, as well as freezeproof down to 14°F, for use in inclement conditions.
- Based on a modular concept, a removable 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder is included for high-resolution, 0.85x-magnification eye-level viewing, and can be paired with an optional EVF-TL1 Tilt Adapter for positioning the finder at a variety of working angles.
- The removable EVF connects with the camera body via the hot shoe, and the EVF features its own hot shoe to maintain compatibility with optional external flashes.
- A 3.2″ 2.36m-dot touchscreen LCD is also available for image playback, menu navigation, and live view shooting. This LCD features a unique tilting design that moves both 45° downward and 90° upward for shooting from high and low angles, and also tilts 60° to the side to benefit shooting in the vertical orientation when in live view.
- A series of dedicated dials are placed about the body for independently adjusting aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
- The aperture ring on GF lenses and the ISO dial on the camera feature a C (Command) position, and the Shutter Speed dial has a T position, to enable adjusting these settings via the front and rear control dials.
- A 1.28″ sub LCD monitor is also featured on the top plate for settings confirmation and exposure data.
- Included NP-T125 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 400 shots per charge when Auto Power Save is on.
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows for direct wireless sharing of files as well as remote camera control from a linked mobile device.
- 117-Point Autofocus System
- A contrast-detection autofocus system is employed that uses 117 total points, which can be further divided into 425 points, for notable focusing speed and accuracy that is especially beneficial when working with the inherent shallow depth of field of medium format. Focus point selection is possible using the integrated Focus Lever for intuitive switching between points and, alternatively, the rear touchscreen can also be used for selecting precise focus areas. Face and Eye Detection AF are also available to benefit portraiture, and an electronic depth of field scale can be used for more critical selective focus. Additionally, focus peaking is available in manual focus mode as well as frame magnification for more critical focusing.